When you were hit by a drunk driver, you were permanently affected in many ways. Along with chronic physical pain, you have endured changes to your way of life and suffer from depression and anxiety. Compensation for these effects is known as non-economic damage. Unlike economic damages, which are easy to measure because there are specific dollar amounts tied to them such as medical bills, non-economic damages are more abstract. This is why non-economic damages are generally referred to as pain and suffering.

In addition to being compensated for your physical pain and for the damage done to you car, you should also be compensated for things like depression, stress, and strains to your marriage or family relationships. If any of these things occur, you have the right to pursue non-economic damages because the quality of your life has changed.

What Is Your Loss Worth?

It is difficult to assign a value to non-economic damages because they are technically “quality of life damages.” But even though there isn’t an exact dollar amount attached to these losses, you may still be due damages because the accident negatively impacted your life. This is why it is important to be thorough when assessing your non-economic damages. For example, if your car accident injury prevented you from attending your daughter’s wedding, you should be able to collect money not only for the non-refundable airfare, but also for the loss of an experience you can’t make up for.

If you have missed out on enjoying the pleasures of life as a result of a car accident injury, you deserve to be compensated accordingly. Life experiences have value and the loss of the enjoyment of life is a big part of non-economic damages.

To learn more about collecting the compensation you are due, order a free copy of our book, report, 10 Tips to Get the Maximum Compensation After a Maryland Auto Accident.