School is now in session, and big yellow buses are everywhere. Along with the excitement of those first days of school comes the very real danger of Maryland bus accidents. Knowing the causes of such accidents and teaching your child bus safety will go a long way in keeping your child safe this school year.
Causes of Maryland Bus Accidents
Children are most likely to be injured walking to or from the bus rather than while riding it. Though bus drivers are trained to look for children, and other drivers are encouraged to be extra vigilante at school bus-stops, accidents still happen. According to Maryland’s State Highway Administration, these accidents most often occur because a child is:
- In a rush to get on or off the bus
- Has little experience with traffic laws
- Assumes other cars will see her and stop
- Doesn’t stay in the bus driver’s line of sight
- Enters the path of a vehicle to pick up a dropped item
Bus Safety Tips in Maryland
Children ages 5 to 7 are most likely to be the victims of a Maryland bus accident. Teach your child to follow these 12 safety tips from the Maryland State Highway Administration when walking near a bus:
- Arrive at the bus stop five minutes before the bus.
- Stand three giant steps away from the curb while waiting for the bus.
- Wait for the bus to stop, the door to open, and the driver to signal you that it’s OK to enter the bus.
- Get on one at a time.
- Use the handrails.
- Keep your backpack away from the sides of the door to avoid getting tangled.
- When crossing the street, use the sidewalk, and cross at least five giant steps in front of the bus to make sure the driver can see you.
- Wait for the driver to tell you it’s OK to cross the street.
- Walk at least three giant steps away from the side of the bus.
- Never walk behind the bus.
- Look both ways to make sure no cars are coming, or that traffic has stopped, before getting on or off the bus.
- If you drop something, tell the bus driver instead of trying to get it yourself.
If your child has already been the victim of a Maryland bus accident, you should speak to a skilled Maryland truck accident attorney. The lawyers at Nickelsporn and Lundin know your rights and can help you get the compensation you need to take back control of your child’s future. Call today at 800-875-9700.