Laws regarding car accidents and injury compensation claims vary from state to state. When you’ve been injured in a car crash while traveling in another state, you may be unsure what the best way is to get the compensation you need to pay for your medical expenses and pain and suffering. You have two options when dealing with a car accident injury from out of state:

  1. Hometown Attorney – Choosing a lawyer close to home is easy because you can visit the attorney’s office directly. Plus, they may be more familiar with your particular car insurance company. They may not, however, be familiar with the laws of the state in which the accident occurred.
  2. Local Attorney – Because each state has its own laws regarding car accidents, it can be helpful to consult with a lawyer from the state in which the accident occurred. For example, if you are from out of state and were injured in a Maryland car crash, you should know that our state follows “contributory laws.” This means that anyone who contributed to the cause of the accident is ineligible for compensation for injuries received in the crash. For that reason, it’s crucial that you prove your innocence in the accident in order to get the compensation you deserve for your injuries.

Whether you are a Maryland resident who was injured while traveling out of state, or you were a tourist who was injured in a Maryland car accident, we can talk with you to help you determine the best plan of action for your personal injury lawsuit. To set up an appointment for your free initial consultation, call the Maryland auto accident lawyers of Nickelsporn and Lundin at 800-875-9700.