Richard S. Lundin
Connect with me
Personal injury and family law attorney licensed to practice in Maryland and the District of Columbia


In addition to seeing a doctor, filing insurance claims, scheduling a damage estimate and arranging a rental, you should also tell your employer of your injuries and need for time off. Do this as soon you can, so you remain in good standing with your employer.  Giving notice may be as simple as a phone call or it may be more formal. We recommend you follow your employer's requirements and send your employer a copy of all doctor disability notes as soon as you receive them.

To get your lost wages reimbursed by the insurance company, you’ll need a verification by your employer that you missed work and a doctor’s note excusing you from work due to your accident injuries.  The verification by your employer is simply a statement from your employer stating your position, rate of pay, initial hire date and days missed due to the accident (a letter on company letterhead is sufficient).

If you're self-employed, proving your actual lost income can be more tricky.  Generally, you'll need proof that your cash compensation actually decreased.  This can be shown through bank deposit records, proof of cancelled contracts and jobs and your tax returns (Schedule C).

Note that your lost wages can be reimbursed even if you took sick leave and were already paid by your employer. Because Maryland follows the collateral source rule, the auto insurance company doesn't get the benefit or credit for the fact that you had sick leave.

Be sure to ask every doctor you see (including the hospital emergency room doctor) for a work excuse. Give a copy of each doctor's note to us and to your employer. Then, after you've actually missed time from work, ask your employer to verify the time missed and your rate of pay for that time. We have an Employer Verification Form you can give to your employer to complete.

Prompt notice and proper documentation entitles you to reimbursement of your lost wages. It also corroborates your claim that you sustained injuries that caused pain, suffering and invconvenience.  This is an important part of you case, no matter how big or small the claim.