Richard S. Lundin
Connect with me
Personal injury and family law attorney licensed to practice in Maryland and the District of Columbia
Everybody has expenses, and most people hurt in auto accidents need quick reimbursement of their lost income so they can pay their bills.
Here’s what’s needed:


1. Doctor’s disability note excusing you from work.

2. Employer’s verification that you missed particular days or hours.

3. Proof of your rate of pay.


If you’re an employee, it’s pretty straightforward. 


But if you’re an independent contractor or self-employed, it can get tricky.  In that case, you’ll need tax returns and 1099s for three years prior to the accident.  Sometimes bank records are also needed.   Even still, the insurance company might challenge whether you actually lost any income.


If you have accrued sick or annual leave, you should use it.  The value of the leave you had to use can be reimbursed by the at-fault driver’s insurance company.  


If you have disability insurance (short-term or long-term), we recommend you apply for those benefits as well.  


If the accident happened on the job, you can also get workers’ compensation (66% of your weekly wage).  


And if you have Maryland Personal Injury Protection Benefits (PIP), your auto insurance company and PIP will reimburse you 85% of the value of your lost time from work.


Each case is different, yet one thing we want to do right away every time is determine how you’ll be paid while you’re out of work recovering from your injuries. 


We are dedicated to advancing and protecting your rights in auto accident case.  Call today for a FREE initial consultation.  We're available weekends and nights.  Call 24/7.