Whether you are driving home from work or on your way to pick up the kids from soccer practice, a car accident can happen when you least expect it. If you or a loved one has been hurt in a Germantown accident, you may be feeling helpless and unsure of what to do.

Rather than fret over the damage that's already been done, take back control of the situation with these five helpful tips:

File a police report.

A police report gives you an official record of what happened. While it is best if the police can be on the scene immediately following the accident to do their own investigation, you can still call the Germantown Police Department to file an accident report days later.

See a doctor immediately.

If you have been involved in a serious Maryland auto accident, you should see a doctor even if you feel normal. Your injuries may be masked by the numbing effects of adrenaline. An experienced doctor can recognize the subtle signs of serious injury and start treating you sooner.

Similarly, make a follow-up visit if you discover any new injuries in the weeks following the crash. It is quite common for people involved in a Germantown accident to become aware of a nagging pain in the days following an accident.

Photograph the damage.

Any photos you can take of the accident scene (especially if there are tire marks or debris), your vehicle, or your injuries can help prove your case.

Follow doctor's orders.

Insurance adjusters like to see if you are doing what your doctor recommended. If you ignore your doctor's orders, the insurance adjuster may accuse you of neglecting the injury and refuse to pay. Keep all doctor appointments, follow your doctor's orders, and keep your medical bills as proof of the injury.

Call a lawyer.

Most minor car accidents can be settled without the aid of a lawyer. However, if you or a loved one has been seriously hurt in a Germantown car crash, you may want to talk to a qualified Maryland personal injury lawyer who can help you get the best compensation for your expensive injuries.

The experienced attorneys at Nickelsporn & Lundin have handled hundreds of cases like yours throughout Montgomery County. Call us today at 1-800-875-9700, or fill out our online form.