The short answer is yes, although the compensation might have to come from an alternate source if the responsible driver cannot be found.

In some cases, the person injured is able to provide the police with enough information about the other driver so that the other driver can be tracked down.

If that does occur, the responsible party will be charged with a hit and run accident, which is a criminal offense. The hit and run driver will also be required to give the police their insurance information so that you can submit a claim against them.

If the other driver cannot be found, nearly all Maryland car insurance policies have a provision allowing you to get compensation for your injuries and property damage through your own policy's uninsured motorist policy. This should not affect your insurance premium.

If you are still having problems getting adequate compensation, however, consider talking to a Silver Spring accident attorney who can provide the help you need.