What to Do If You Are Involved in a Silver Spring Auto AccidentIt is rare to go through a day without hearing about or seeing a Maryland car wreck. With over 6 million car accidents occurring in the United States each year, your chances of being involved in one are fairly high. Even if you are the most careful driver, you can still be injured due to another driver's negligent actions.
If you are involved in a Silver Spring car crash - or one in any other city or county in the state of Maryland - there are many things to remember. It would be a great idea to print this page and keep it in your glove compartment because, if you are involved in an accident, it will be very hard to think clearly.
- Call the police and obtain a copy of the police report.When the police arrive on the scene, they will take statements and write a police report. It is very important to ensure this report is correct, as it will be a vital piece of information in your accident case.
- Write down the other driver's information. Maryland law requires you to name the other driver in your case; therefore, it is absolutely necessary to take down the other driver's name and contact information. Also write down the license plate numbers of the other vehicles involved, as this is necessary to identify the insurance company who will pay for your medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering.
- Write down the name, address and phone number of all witnesses. Get contact information from all witnesses, as they are the key to winning your case if the other driver tries to make up an untrue story. Clients have won and lost cases on the testimony of witnesses.
- Take photographs of the cars. If you can, take photographs of the position and damage of all involved vehicles. These photographs are very important. We have even won cases with such photographs.
- Do not admit responsibility, even if you feel you may be at fault. Only admit to the facts of the accident. Never apologize or admit fault. There may have been other factors that you are unaware of that contributed to the crash or that place the legal responsibility for the accident on the other driver.
- Do not give statements to the insurance adjusters.Soon after an accident, insurance adjusters may contact you. They may want you to give them a recorded statement or sign a release of liability. You are required to cooperate with your own insurance company, but not with the other party's. Do not give a recorded statement and do not sign anything, even with your own company, until you consult with a Silver Spring accident attorney.
- Go to the hospital in an ambulance. If you are feeling any pain, you should not hesitate to request an ambulance to take you to the hospital to for medical care. Do not worry about the bill - worry about YOU.
- Visit a doctor.A follow-up doctor's examination is important to both your personal wellbeing and the success of your case. A doctor can identify your injuries and help you determine how serious they are as well as how they will impact your life. Even if you do not feel pain immediately after an accident, you can still see a doctor, as it sometimes takes time for you to experience symptoms of injuries. If you begin feeling any pain, you should go to the hospital or call your doctor for immediate attention.
- Order your free copy of our book. Before you sign anything, order your free copy of our book,(working title, add link to book). It contains answers to many of your Maryland and Silver Spring auto accident questions.
- Call Nickelsporn & Lundin. Call our office to schedule a free consultation with a Silver Spring auto accident attorney. We can help you with an auto accident case occurring anywhere in the state of Maryland. The call is free, the advice is free, and you don't pay anything unless we recover money for you.
If you or someone you love has been involved in a Silver Spring, Frederick, or Rockville car accident, you need experienced representation. The Maryland accident attorneys at Nickelsporn & Lundin can help you receive the compensation you deserve. Contact our office (add link to contact form) at 1-800-875-9700 to speak with a Silver Spring car crash lawyer today.