Residents Can Take These Actions to Stay Safe Over the Holidays
When winter sets in and the holidays approach, the number of people on the roads naturally increases as people travel to and from celebrations and events. This increase in roadway traffic also raises the chances of an alcohol-related driving accident. To keep everyone safe this season, residents must be on high alert and take swift action under certain circumstances.
Five Ways to Reduce Drunk Driving This Holiday Season
What can residents do to prevent drunk driving related crashes over the holidays? The following are five examples:
- Include sober drivers in your holiday celebrations this year. If you plan to drink, designate a sober driver before the party begins. If you know you’ll be drinking, leave your car keys at home or give them to someone else.
- If you have been drinking, do not drive—even if it is just a short distance. Instead, call a sober friend, take advantage of public transportation, or call SoberRide at 1-800-200-TAXI. This is a free program that is offered nightly from December 12th through January 1st.
- If you suspect another driver of operating their vehicle while under the influence of drugs or alcohol, call 911 as soon as possible. If it is safe to do so, obtain the license plate number of the vehicle, the direction that it is traveling in, and a description of the vehicle’s make, model, and color.
- If you learn that a local business is selling alcohol to minors, take action quickly. Call the police non-emergency number. If it is an ongoing issue, you can also call Crime Solvers toll free at 1-866-411-TIPS to leave a tip. You can leave these tips anonymously if that is of concern.
- If you learn about a party that includes underage drinking, call the police non-emergency number as soon as possible. If the party has not yet started, you can leave an anonymous message with the Alcohol Initiatives Section.
Drunk driving is a problem that affects us all, even if we do not actively participate in it ourselves. All motorists are at risk when traveling roadways shared with impaired drivers. The costs related to these accidents are often high, and impact not just the victim, but society in general. We all must do our part to keep these crashes to a minimum.
Post a comment
Post a Comment to "How Residents Can Prevent Drunk Driving"To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."